As many Americans love to celebrate Cinco de Mayo they often do it with food, drinks, and music. The good news is that the music won’t hurt your diet. I did want to share some tips on the food and drinks.
I’ll start with the easy part the drinks. If you are sitting in a social setting where you decide your diet can handle some alcohol, keep a few things in mind.
1. Order a glass of water with your alcoholic drink and make yourself drink one glass of water with every glass of alcohol you drink.
2. Light beer is called light for a reason, get it over the regular stuff, but remember, it isn’t like diet soda. It still has a lot of calories, so drink it in moderation.
3. If you are looking for a mixed drink, pick one you can mix with a diet soda. The mixer makes a big difference.
4. If you are going to do a shot, a general rule of thumb is a clear alcohol is usually lower in calories.
Now the food tips for Mexican restaurants
1. Grilled shrimp, fish, and chicken are your friends, pick them over pork or beef.
2. The basket of free chips is a trap, try to skip if you can, if you can’t, set yourself a limit and stick to it.
3. Cheese and sour cream are high calories and high fat, try to pick a dish without them, and think about bringing your own fat free cheese and sour cream.
4. A salad in a giant fried tortilla bowl is not healthy if you eat the bowl.
5, Plan ahead, make sure you have a lighter lunch and breakfast so you can enjoy dinner.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!